Archive

Archive for the ‘Sitecore’ Category

Using SecurityDisabler and EditContext With Sitecore Fakes

06/11/2013 2 comments

Recently I had to write some code that import a lot of content  for a customer, who on a daily basis wanted to imported  100+ news Items  into Sitecore. Importing and filling out the data field of items isn’t that complex task, or code to write. But I really wanted to test the functionality so I could guarantee and verify the behavior of my code before I released into a running LIVE environment. So I’ve sat myself the goal to extend Sitecore Fakes so I could test against and “Database” in memory instead of cleaning the Sitecore solution every time I’ve ran a test import.

An Example of a simple import code could look something like this

using (new SecurityDisabler())
{
subNode = homeItem.Add("SubNode", templateId);
using (new EditContext(subNode))
{
subNode[fieldIdA] = "test";
subNode[fieldIdB] = "testBBB";
}
}

To do this I’ve had to include some more section in the App.config for the test project. The section is listed below are the changes I’ve added

<authentication defaultProvider="forms">
 <providers>
 <clear />
 <add name="forms" type="Sitecore.Security.Authentication.FormsAuthenticationProvider, Sitecore.Kernel" />
 </providers>
 </authentication>
 <authorization defaultProvider="sql">
 <providers>
 <clear/>
 <add name="sql" type="Sitecore.Fakes.ConfigurationFakes.FakeAutheorizationProvider, Sitecore.Fakes" />
 </providers>
 </authorization>
 <domainManager defaultProvider="file">
 <providers>
 <clear />
 <add name="file" type="Sitecore.Fakes.ConfigurationFakes.FakeDomainProvider, Sitecore.Fakes" />
 </providers>
 </domainManager>
 <accessRights defaultProvider="config">
 <providers>
 <clear />
 <add name="config" type="Sitecore.Fakes.ConfigurationFakes.FakeAccessRight,Sitecore.Fakes" />
 </providers>
 </accessRights>

As you can see the Sitecore Fakes comes with som substitutes from the original configuration section, this implements dummy functionality and helps keeping the app.config file to a minimum. These includes

Sitecore.Fakes.Config.FakeAutheorizationProvider

Sitecore.Fakes.Config.FakeDomainProvider

Sitecore.Fakes.Config.FakeAccessRight

Also the itemprovider have been extended so it now overrides the base functionality for Item.Add(..)

public override Item AddFromTemplate(string itemName, ID templateId, Item destination, ID newId)
 {
 FakeDatabase fakeDatabase = Factory.GetDatabase(destination.Database.Name) as FakeDatabase;
 FakeItem child = new FakeItem(newId, templateId, itemName, fakeDatabase.Name);
 FakeItem fakeParent = destination as FakeItem;
 fakeParent.AddChild(child);
 fakeDatabase.FakeAddItem(child);
 return child;
 }

With these change in place we can now run our test from the beginning.

public void CreateAndEditItemTest()
 {
 //setup database so we have a rood node to add our content to
 var homeFakeItem = new FakeItem();
 Item homeItem = (Item) homeFakeItem;

 //Define some Field IDs
 TemplateID templateId = new TemplateID(ID.NewID);
 Item subNode;
 ID fieldIdA = ID.NewID;
 ID fieldIdB = ID.NewID;

//add and edit the ite,
 using (new SecurityDisabler())
 {
 subNode = homeItem.Add("SubNode", templateId);
 using (new EditContext(subNode))
 {
 subNode[fieldIdA] = "test";
 subNode[fieldIdB] = "testBBB";
 }

}
 subNode[fieldIdA].ShouldAllBeEquivalentTo("test");
 subNode[fieldIdB].ShouldAllBeEquivalentTo("testBBB"); ;
 }

If you need more then one database or another then “web” which is default for Sitecore Fakes either alter or add one more to the DataBase section of your test project so it look like something like below.

<databases>
<database id="web" singleInstance="true" type="Sitecore.Fakes.FakeDatabase, Sitecore.Fakes">
<param desc="name">$(id)</param>
</database>
<database id="master" singleInstance="true" type="Sitecore.Fakes.FakeDatabase, Sitecore.Fakes">
<param desc="name">$(id)</param>
</database>
 </databases>

You Can download Sitecore fakes from github here: https://github.com/istern/Sitecore-Fakes

Advertisements

Adding two usefull Shortcuts to the Sitecore startmenu

31/10/2013 Leave a comment

In my day to day work with Sitecore i often have to change Database context to either Core or Web, and using the Database selector is of course, quickly becomes irritating and cumbersome. Then you one could create  a custom command that open the content editor with the parameters “sc_lang=*Database*”. But in this post i will show how you can get the same two shortcuts without writing any code.

First you need to go to the core database, and navigate to the this folder:

“/sitecore/content/Documents and settings/All users/Start menu/Left”

Duplicate the link “Content Editor” Name it something meaningful fx. “Web Content Editor”

In the Parameters field add the following “&sc_content=web” for the web database and “&sc_content=core” for the core database. See example image below.

30-10-2013 22-46-38

 

Now go back to the Master database and see the two new shortcuts in the startmenu. Now with these two shortcuts it is really easy to switch between the databases

30-10-2013 22-46-09

Categories: Sitecore Tags: